Thursday, January 6, 2011

Benefits of Using Short Stories in the EFL Context

Odilea Rocha Erkaya
Eskisehir Osmangazi University
Turkey 
Reviewed by: Khumaidah

The main purpose of this study focuses on familiarizing EFL instructors with the effectiveness of using literature in language instruction so that the teaching EFL does not focus on linguistic benefits only. I agree with the idea of the writer noted that teaching EFL with literature by using short story can give some benefits for the learners which include motivational, literacy, cultural and higher-order thinking because it can reinforce the skill and competence of language teaching of the learners. In my opinion, by learning literature learners will interpret what they read so that they can improve their vocabulary and reading capacity and work toward speaking English more creatively. Besides, based on my experience when I learn literature I will be encouraged to continue reading the material until the end to find out how the conflict is resolved and also I can feel sense of achievement at understanding of literature because it is more interesting than the texts found in course book. In addition, I can analyze what I read; therefore, I start thinking critically when I read stories

Dealing with the opinion above I also have some references from some experts; for example Oaster in 1989 said that literature helps students to write more creatively, then Vandrick in 1997 who reported that literature motivates students “to explore their feelings through experiencing those of others. Furthermore, Howie (1993) assumed that learning literature will teach critical thinking. And the last, Young (1996) use children’s stories to introduce critical thinking to college students.

No comments:

Post a Comment